Friday, May 8, 2009

Remembering on Mother's Day

I can't help but think of how blessed I am this Mother's Day! To know that my children are fed, clothed and in a safe place every night is something I take for granted. But that's not the case for so many mothers in Ethiopia. How it must ache to worry about those most basic needs for your children.

For the last year, I've had the privilege of helping with Adoption Ministry of YWAM Ethiopia. Just last month, our first little boy was brought home to begin his life with his new family in Washington!

Last April, I traveled to Ethiopia to visit our orphanages, work with the widows that are part of the feeding program YWAM has and meet some of the most amazing and beautiful people who are serving Christ in very tough conditions. The trip was the hardest thing I've ever done. But if I hadn't gone because of my own fear, I would have missed a life-changing experience.

There are many women in Ethiopia who have asked YWAM to take their children because they cannot provide for them. I saw it happen when I was there. A group of women had heard there was a place in their city where orphans were being cared for and placed for adoption into homes in the U.S. They came to the compound with their babies and toddlers, asking if we would please take their children and give them food, shelter and, hopefully, a new family who had the means to provide for them. Can you even imagine that? Their love and desire for their child's best interest had somehow overtaken their motherly instinct to personally hold and nurture their own child. It is simply unthinkable to me to be in that position!

"I helped those without hope, and they blessed me. And I caused the widows’ hearts to sing for joy." Job 29:13

That is what Adoption Ministry Ethiopia is all about - helping those without hope.

"Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows." Isaiah 1:16-18

If you'd like to be a part of the ministry to do just that, please let me know!

You can:
  • commit to praying for a child waiting to be adopted
  • become a monthly sponsor for an orphaned child
  • give a one-time gift to help support YWAM's humanitarian work
  • go to Ethiopia to serve widows and orphans

Or maybe you know someone who would prayerfully consider adopting a child from Ethiopia. Maybe that someone is you! Just send an email to: support@ywamethiopia.com and I'll be glad to respond.

I hope you have a wonderful celebration of Mother's Day as you give thanks for your mother, for your children and for God's heart for widows and the motherless.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...