Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I started to say

Here’s how I started out writing this post…

Two recent articles got my attention in the sea of depressing news that streams from our computer monitors and tv screens – and they epitomize the depravity that characterizes our culture. 

ETHICISTS ARGUE IN FAVOR OF ‘AFTER-BIRTH ABORTIONS‘ AS NEWBORNS ’ARE NOT PERSONS’


Ethicists Argue for Acceptance of After Birth Abortions
Source

and taking this issue out of the theoretical…

PORTLAND-AREA COUPLE SUES FOR $3M FOR ‘WRONGFUL BIRTH’ AFTER CHILD BORN WITH DOWN SYNDROME


I was appalled but not surprised at the content of these two articles and I thought I’d just make my feelings of disgust known here.  I was going to give my two cents about what a slippery slope it is when people start down a road away from God’s will.

But then I remembered something Jesus said. 

You have heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’ But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.
 
Matt 5:21-22


I have a habit of applying truth to everyone but myself.  And I have to be very careful of the fine line between righteous anger and self-righteousness.  It’s about my heart – always. 

I was actually really mad about this mind-set of disposing of life if it isn’t convenient or beneficial or according to our expectations.  God is mad about that too, right?  But I was also sitting up on God’s seat of judgment in my assessment of this couple in Portland.  That’s not my chair to sit in.  In fact, in Jesus’ own words, I am guilty of the same thing.  Apart from Christ I am every bit as immoral and hopelessly lost in sin as the next medical ethicist or abortion activist. 

I think it’s really important to stand up for truth and righteousness and life.  But I have to leave the judgment to God. 

I love what John Fischer says:  “How God works with other people is his business, not mine.  My business is to follow him… Let’s face it, it’s a heavy burden being a Pharisee, managing truth, defending God, stalking heresy, enforcing the rules and keeping those out of the kingdom who do not belong there.”

I’ve often caught myself wishing for God to bring judgment on our broken world.  You know – see God get even with all of the horrible evil we hear about every day.  But we don’t live in the age of God’s judgment. That day is coming – we can count on that.  But we live in the age of salvation.  This time in history is when God is pouring out His mercy because He doesn’t want anyone to suffer the consequences of their own sin. 

I’ve been the recipient of that incredible mercy.  My main concern should be to carry the good news of that mercy to other people who haven’t yet received it.   And to avoid my own slippery slopes.  That should actually keep me pretty busy.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...