Thursday, October 11, 2012

Photo walk



















Today after getting some necessaries done, I grabbed my camera and did what I’d written on my ‘to do’ list for today: 

        * photo walk

I haven’t been sleeping well and feel like I’m also fighting some sort of a bug.  It’s the last sunny day (or so the weatherman says) after a record-breaking sunny, dry stretch and I knew I’d feel so much better if I was outside on a long walk.   I was gone almost two hoursIn the middle of the day!  And I’m so glad I was. 

There is something to be said for the cultures that stop at some point in the day to rest, sip tea, chat with friends, just to cease working and enjoy.

I took my camera because I am trying to learn how to take good pictures and I need practice.  I am notorious for reading a great tutorial on manual settings or asking my husband how to set the aperture and then promptly forgetting everything I learned when it comes time to get a great picture.  I can visualize how I think the shot should look but I forget if I leave it on AUTO or Av to shoot one of those cool bokeh pictures (blurry in the background with something in the foreground in crisp focus).  If I actually find a good bokeh shot on my disk, I’m really just lucky.  More often I get pictures like this, taken on my walk today:


But I did get some good shots.  And most of all, I had such a wonderful time just being outside.

This was the sky today (honest, I took a picture of the sky!):


It’s fun looking UP!








Our colors are not at their peak yet but there are some trees and shrubs that are already showing off.



Would you feel comfortable if a strange woman was taking close-ups of your shrubs??




All the streets in our neighborhood are named after trees:  Cherry, Spruce, Pine, Elm and ours is Chestnut.  Doesn’t Chestnut sound like a cool name for a street?  It is unless you have an actual chestnut tree in your front yard.  They make a mess.


Let’s take a blurry zoom in to see what’s creating all this debris in the street…


Here’s a chestnut in its burr:


They ripen, fall off the tree and when they split open, the brown-shelled nut is inside.


You then roast them on an open fire while Jack Frost nips at your nose.  I know street vendors sell roasted chestnuts in New York and my neighbors could do something similar in their driveway.

I finally ended up back in my own yard where I could snap pictures to my heart’s content without feeling like I was doing something sinister. 




I know the rain is coming and I’m really ready for it.  Everything is bone-dry and needs a good soaking.  But I so enjoyed this beautiful fall day!  Thanks for sharing it with me!

.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...