Wednesday, April 3, 2013

On my nightstand


Sparkly Green Earrings
by Melanie Shankle
I’ve read Melanie’s blog (Big Mama) for several years so of course I had to read her first book as soon as it came out.  It’s a very funny look at parenthood.  Now I’m waiting for Sophie’s book (BooMama) to come out!




Mrs. Mike
by Benedict and Nancy Freedman

This is a novel set in the Canadian wilderness.  It’s a love story about an Irish girl from Boston who goes to live with her uncle and falls in love with a Canadian Mounted policeman.  Not my kind of story.  I’m trying to stick with it but may not make it through.




Crossing to Safety
by Wallace Stegner
This is a novel chronicling the friendship of two couples, from early marriage through careers, children, illness and aging.  An interesting story – it was a bit sad to me.


My Galaxy SIII
by Steve Schwartz
How’s that for a nerdy selection?  But I hate the thought of my phone being able to do tons of things that I have no idea about.  So now I know how to take a screen shot by swiping the side of my hand across the screen or how to sync my calendars.  I still don’t know how to share something with my husband by clicking our phones together though.  I need to look that up.


I think I’ve said before that I start reading quite a lot of books (checking them out at the library) but don’t finish most of them. I’ve learned that so many books that others like I just don’t. Plus I am trying to be more selective. Reading is something I can get lost in and I‘ve been convicted about ‘Whatever is good, lovely, admirable…’ in this area of my life. For some it might be movies or music.  For me, it’s books.  It’s a little victory for me to say ‘no’ and put a book down when I know it’s not a good one for me to read. 

That said, I absolutely LOVE a well-written story to get caught up in.  I'm always on the hunt!

On my reserve list at the library:
When God Doesn’t Answer Your Prayer
The Light Between Oceans
Damascus Countdown
Trusting God in a Twisted World

How about you?  Read any good books lately?  Please share in a comment!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...