Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Off the top of my head


  • Have you noticed a new strategy being employed by door-to-door sales people?  Twice in the last month, we’ve had a knock on our door that sounded like
    tap tap taptap tap” 
    – you know, the way a family member might give a friendly greeting before they walk in.  If we don’t answer right away, they proceed to ring the doorbell several times in succession – another sign of someone who knows you, right?  I fell for it once and was surprised to see a guy on the porch selling windows.  Today it happened again – the happy knocking and the bell ringing.  I made myself wait to see who walked away and sure enough, two strangers who probably wanted me to buy steaks from their truck parked down the street.  I never buy anything from someone selling door-to-door and I almost never answer the door to sales people… unless they trick me into it.
     
  • We’ve had so much rain lately that the peonies are either rotting or laying on the ground.  I could almost cry.  I wait for these beauties all spring.  I did save quite a few, though.  I ran outside during a break in the clouds…



It’s hard to be a peony in Oregon.

  • One of my friends (who is in her late 70’s) and I were talking over lunch recently about perspective.  She whipped out a piece of paper from her purse and made a mark in the center with her pen. 
    She asked me, “What do you see?”

       ”A black dot.”
       Then she said, “Isn’t it interesting that nobody ever says ‘A white
       space’?  I am definitely one who sees the black dot in my
       circumstances and I want to start seeing the white spaces more.
       I pinned the slip of paper to my bulletin board to remind me.  
       Nothing quite like getting a slap upside the head from a good friend.

  • The older I get, the more I talk to myself when I’m alone.
    What happens when I start doing it when I’m not alone?  Help me.

  • It’s almost berry season… just FYI!

  • Posts written off the top of my head could use some inspiration... just FYI!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...