The annual Beloit College Mindset List is out and I always look forward to reading it. This is a list that reflects the worldview of the current class of college freshman and it’s always so interesting (and a bit shocking to this old soul) to read it. I’ll share a few of my favs but you can read the entire list here.
For this group of students, born in 1995 and who will be the graduating class of 2017…
- GM means food that is Genetically Modified.
- Having a chat has seldom involved talking.
- A tablet is no longer something you take in the morning.
- Plasma has never been just a bodily fluid.
- With GPS, they have never needed directions to get someplace, just an address.
- Their favorite films have always been largely, if not totally, computer generated.
- They have never really needed to go to their friend’s house so they could study together.
- Their parents’ car CD player is sooooo ancient and embarrassing.
Did you notice how many of these involve technology? That’s no surprise, I guess. It does make me wonder how much this generation is missing out on when it comes to real live relationships. But now that I think about it, I enjoyed some technology too!