Thursday, September 5, 2013

That list




The annual Beloit College Mindset List is out and I always look forward to reading it.  This is a list that reflects the worldview of the current class of college freshman and it’s always so interesting (and a bit shocking to this old soul) to read it.  I’ll share a few of my favs but you can read the entire list here.

For this group of students, born in 1995 and who will be the graduating class of 2017…

  • GM means food that is Genetically Modified.
  • Having a chat has seldom involved talking.
  • A tablet is no longer something you take in the morning.
  • Plasma has never been just a bodily fluid.
  • With GPS, they have never needed directions to get someplace, just an address.
  • Their favorite films have always been largely, if not totally, computer generated.
  • They have never really needed to go to their friend’s house so they could study together.
  • Their parents’ car CD player is sooooo ancient and embarrassing.

Did you notice how many of these involve technology?  That’s no surprise, I guess.  It does make me wonder how much this generation is missing out on when it comes to real live relationships.  But now that I think about it, I enjoyed some technology too!


1 comment:

Nancy Espinoza said...

Love the label maker and the address/phone # pad. Both were in my house growing up. As well as many others, but those two were used a lot! I kept my record player in my room and unfortunately the hair dryer growing up was the bonnet/over the head style!

See you Soon!
Nancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...