Sunday, April 27, 2014

Do You Accept Hugs? {a repost}

Yesterday I was in the Dollar Tree with my dad, looking for some notecards.  I didn't find any notecards I wanted but somehow I came away with a few things I probably didn't need anyway.

Oh, and one thing that didn't even cost a dollar!

While browsing in the card section, I felt a faint tap on my arm.  I looked over (down, really) to see a tiny little woman with smooth skin and a beautiful white puff of hair on her head.  She couldn't have been younger than 85.

"Excuse me.  I'm so sorry but I forgot my magnifying glass and I wonder if you would read to me what this card says on the inside."  She smiled shyly and handed me an anniversary card from the 'Religious' section.



"I'd be happy to!"  I read the sentiment - a rhyming verse about abiding love, God's blessing on marriage and the joy of wedded bliss.

"That will be just right.  My daughter and son-in-law have just celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary and I don't know how it happened but somehow I forgot their anniversary for the very first time!"

She shook her head with a smile and laid a wrinkled hand on my arm.  "He is just like a son to me - I didn't have any boys, just three daughters."

"Oh, I have three daughters too!"

She looked at me like she couldn't believe her ears.  And then she whispered, "Do you accept hugs?"

We embraced right there in the Dollar Tree card aisle - mothers of daughters, no longer strangers.  It was her daughter's anniversary and I got a gift!

Index cards, security envelopes, gift bags, ribbon:  $ 5
A hug from a sweet new friend: Priceless

1 comment:

Nancy Espinoza said...

Such a sweet story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...