Monday, May 18, 2015

Links I liked (baby watch edition)

While we wait anxiously for granddaughter #2 to arrive, I’ve been cooking up a storm.  This is what I do.  For some unknown reason, I go into a cooking frenzy whenever the kids are coming home for a visit or, in this case, when we are going to visit them.  I’ve wanted Ray and Lisa to have some meals in the freezer so they don’t have to worry about what’s for dinner in the week or so following baby’s arrival.  After all, they will also be moving that same week (because it’s not stressful enough to have your second child).  Their lease is up so this is what it is.  I thought it might be nice to at least have some good food to heat up. 

I make all my old stand-bys (because I have ZERO creativity when it comes to meals).  Lasagne, flank steak, ribs, pasta salad, pumpkin bead, bran muffins… Hopefully it’s comfort food that makes them turn to each other and say ‘It’s good to know we can count on some absolutes in life when everything around us is changing.’  Or something like that. 

Anyway, here are a few links you might enjoy.  I’ll start off with a couple of Mother-related posts…


This One’s for the Mothers
@chattingatthesky
A wonderful toast to so many mother roles you’ll relate to…
Here’s to you who fights off guilt, comparison, and shame.



Mother’s Day at least one more time for Mom
@cleveland.com
When we moved our mom into assisted living, my brother ordered business cards so her friends would have her new address. He added these lovely words:  Mother of 11 waiting on Heaven.  Mom is still waiting. And not so patiently.



21 Surprising Statistics That Reveal How Much Stuff We Actually Own
@becomingminimalist
The research is confirming our observation: we own too much stuff.
And it is robbing us of life.

Guilty.



Real Life is Better Than Spider-Man
@boomama.net
That little orange piece of paper has brought about some fresh conviction that 1) a little encouragement goes a long way and 2) OUR WORDS MATTER, especially when it comes to affirming each other’s God-given characteristics.



Why I Don’t Throw Kids Birthday Parties
@infarrantlycreative.net
Because I secretly dreaded doing birthday parties for my kids, I thought this was genius!
I spent a truckload of time and money – mostly time, to make it perfect.  Or so I thought.  I was stressed for a week planning and creating decorations. I came up with fun themed games, food and party favors.  And as my kids had post party let down they were always disappointed.  And to be honest, I was too.



No, American Christianity is not dead
@cnn.com
Very insightful article on the recent news about the state of Christianity in the U.S.
The majority of people who use the term Christian, do so in a way that is different from their church-going and faith-driven friends. Think about it—your religious uncle and irreligious neighbor could both call themselves Christians, but mean different things.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...