Thursday, April 30, 2009

Slumblogging in India

Please get a cup of coffee, iced tea or whatever your drink of choice is and take the time to read some of the entries I'm about to link you to. These are some of the best things I've ever read about poverty and our responsibility to respond. But they're so good because they're written from the perspective of people like you and me! Normal American Christians. Scared to go to a third world country. Scared to fly overseas. Scared of how they would react.

Compassion International sent five prominent bloggers to India (where they are now) to blog about their reactions to the poorest of the poor and the work of the 'church' in desperate situations. I think, like me, you'll be amazed. Humbled. Motivated to do something.

Here are the bloggers:
Melissa Fitzpatrick (Beth Moore's daughter)
Pete Wilson (a pastor from Nashville, TN)
Robin Dance
Angela Smith
Anne Jackson

I had the privilege of going on a similar trip last year - to Ethiopia. I was scared. I was overwhelmed. And I know someday I'll go back. But honestly, it was not a pleasant trip. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Yet I know it was God who loved me so much that He knew I needed Ethiopia.

I'm helping with this wonderful ministry - Adoption Ministry of YWAM Ethiopia - where I am a small part of making a difference in the lives of widows and orphans in that destitute part of the world. We just last week completed our first international adoption and the Youngs have a new little boy in their family! A boy given a family to love and nurture him.

We're always looking for people to join us - either in sponsoring a child, going on a missions trip or committing to pray for one of our children waiting to be adopted. I'm not at all ashamed to ask you to get involved - somehow - in the lives of the neediest in our world.


If you'd like, you can check out our blog - That We Might Be Adopted... from Ethiopia.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...