Sunday, December 21, 2014

On my nightstand


This post should probably be titled ‘Dusty on my nightstand’ as there just doesn’t seem to be too much extra time for reading during the holidays.  It is a true luxury to find time to sit by the lighted Christmas tree with a book and a cup of coffee but it’s something I love to do.

So here are two books I’ve read this month.  Very different but I loved them both!




The Handsome Man’s Deluxe Café
by Alexander McCall Smith
If you haven’t read this series, do start at the beginning with the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.  This is #15 in that great series which takes place in Botswana.  I love so many things about it but especially the understated humor and the slow pace of the narrative, which perfectly matches the slower pace of life in Africa.  Because I’m a sucker for accents and regional lingo, I find myself wanting to say things like “Ko Ko!” (which you say in Botswana when you enter a house).  Love this series!


Something Other Than God
by Jennifer Fulwiler
The subtitle of the book is ‘How I passionately sought happiness and accidentally found it.’  It’s the autobiography of I blogger I follow (ConversionDiary.com) who describes her path to faith in Christ from her atheist roots.  I liked her honestly and humor which are part of her ongoing ministry now.  LIfe is messy and Jennifer’s story includes all of her mess, making her relatable and engaging. 

I hope you find some quiet time to read in these days before and after Christmas too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...