Wednesday, May 20, 2015

On my nightstand


I missed my ‘Nightstand’ post in April somehow but I’ve still been reading!  I don’t share these titles to show off about how much I read but because of how much I appreciate a good book recommendation.  Here are mine…




Out on the Porch
introduction by Reynolds Price
This is a lovely collection of black and white photos of southern porches and accompanying quotes that all make you want to add on to your home immediately.  I love this feature of so many homes in the south… with rocking chairs, porch swings and hanging ferns.  You’ll want a glass of sweet tea.





Eve’s Daughters by Lynn Austin
The story of four generations of women who have to come to grips with the choices they have made – but also those of their mothers. 




Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist
I’d never read anything by this author but I so enjoyed this book!  The subtitle is A Love Letter to Life Around the Table and is all about the celebrations, traditions and experiences we share at the table with friends and family.  Shauna is vulnerable and funny and I look forward to reading her other books.  And to trying a few of her recipes (in the book) too!




Managing God’s Money by Randy Alcorn
The operative word here is God’s.  This is a great little book about what we do with what God has entrusted to us… whether it’s a lot or a little.  Biblical advice on giving, saving, tithing, spending.




Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
This story, which works backwards, is of a painting stolen in WWII and kept hidden for decades.  If you like historical fiction, you might enjoy this one.




All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Two stories are told simultaneously – one of a blind girl in France during the Nazi occupation who has a valuable and dangerous jewel; the other of an orphaned German boy whose gift for building and repairing radios makes him a valuable asset in Hitler’s Youth movement.  As I hoped throughout the early parts of the book, their poignant stories ultimately converge.  The chapters are brief and the writing is very good.  Difficult subject matter.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...