Friday, May 13, 2011

Two Are Better

Because my husband tends to keep leaving me to go to Africa, I've been thinking about what happens to me when he's gone.  I wish I could say I branch out, try new hobbies or volunteer all of my free time at the local rescue mission. 

Nope.

I walk around the house talking to myself.  And no one answers.
I don't eat meals - I graze. 
I don't make the bed all the way.
I get in my jammies really early.
I stay up way too late reading.

This from a person who has always felt pretty independent.  But he leaves and suddenly I'm like a boat with no moorings.  I often feel like I'm not sure what I should be doing.

I may actually be quite busy with work or meeting people or bible study or even getting stuff done around the house but it can feel like I have no accountability without him near.  It's really not a good feeling.

We are far from having a perfect marriage and can drive each other crazy.  You won't find two people wired more differently. 

I am just better with him.  More disciplined.  More careful.  More thoughtful.  His strengths are good for me.  ...Okay, so are his weaknesses.  I hate to think what I'd be like if I never had to put aside my personal preferences.  ('Princess' comes to mind.)  It's good to have someone in the same house to think about other than me. 

I need his perspective.  I like that I ask myself what he's thinking because he thinks UP.  His integrity is a good influence on me.  His desire to please God even in his motives is the iron that sharpens mine.

So I completely get the passage in Ecclesiastes 4...

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.  

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...