Tuesday, March 4, 2014

On my nightstand

Aren’t we all looking for something great to read?  We just want a book to LOVE.  

For whatever reason I have been enjoying a wonderful season of good books.  Here are a few more of my most recent…  



Forgotten God by Francis Chan
Francis Chan writes about the Holy Spirit in a way that’s understandable and desirable and convicting all at once.  "My hunch is that most of you reading this book have basic knowledge about the Holy Spirit; but when it comes to experiencing the Spirit in your life, it's a different story.  Take a moment and ask yourself this question: When was the last time I undeniably saw the Spirit at work in or around me?"


Miraculous Movements by Jerry Trousdale
Because of the work YWAM does in Ethiopia, this book was fascinating to me!  God is at work in miraculous ways.



Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly
A great historical read and a gripping account of the days leading up to the assassination of the president.




Love in the Driest Season by Neely Tucker
This memoir of a reporter on assignment in Zimbabwe in the late nineties was a good and difficult story to read.  I related much of it to life in Ethiopia, especially the work ethic of the government agencies.  It was a bit agonizing for me to read about this couple trying to complete a private adoption without any licensed agency involvement – never, ever recommended.  I thought Tucker did a great job covering the political turmoil, the government bureaucracy and the devastation of the AIDS epidemic all within the context of his own softening heart toward an abandoned child.



One Came Home by Amy Timberlake
I like to read the Newberry Honor books and this is one of the latest contenders.  This book and the next would both fall into the category of young adult fiction – often some of the best fiction out there, in my humble opinion.  This was an exciting, page-turning story about a girl living in the late 1800’s who refuses to believe that her older sister has been killed and who sets out to follow the evidence and find her alive. 


Paperboy by Vince Vawter
Set in the south in 1959, this story of an 11-year-old boy who takes over his friend’s paper route for a month in July draws you in from the start.  Although he can barely say a word without stuttering, he bravely forces himself to communicate. From the kind man who helps him so much to the lonely housewife with a drinking problem to his devoted housekeeper, these characters are each the kind that I love to get to know in a book.

Giving thanks today for the library in our town.  I have a whole lineup of books on the reserve list and I'll share the ones I think you might like too!  For others I've shared here on the blog, do a search using the word 'nightstand' in the search box up near the top.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...