Sunday, January 16, 2011

I've been thinking

I've had this thought running through my head this week...



There have been several things in the news and in blogland that have reminded me this is true. 

The Simple Wife, who blogs about her family, faith and living simply suffered a major stroke on Jan. 11th.  She is 38 years old.  Her husband and kids didn't expect this.  One day, she was writing about roasting marshmallows with her girls and the next she is sedated in ICU with an uncertain future.

Another blogger, Edie at Life in Grace, lost her entire home to a house fire right before Christmas.  One day they were getting ready for a wonderful holiday and suddenly, all they owned was gone.

My dad's friend Roy was found slumped on the floor of his apartment after suffering a heart attack - and Dad's meal partner won't ever sit with him again. 

The tragedy in Arizona. Everyone who left to go to Safeway that morning probably never gave a thought that they wouldn't return home.

We're always shocked when someone we know dies.  No one expects a stroke, a fire, a death.  I don't want to live in fear but I also don't want to take what I have for granted either.  It's a delicate, difficult balance for me. 

I hate to be apart from any of my family.  I don't like them traveling.  I often think about parting words - and if they might be the last ones I'll get to say to someone I love.  I can let my mind go all over the place making up outcomes for my kids that are NOT GOOD.  I sometimes imagine terrible things happening and end up miserable.  I'm not a huge worrier but this is something I do struggle with.

So... what am I to do? 

I trust that my times are in His hands.  That every day of my family's lives were written in His book of life before we were ever born. 

Consider carefully the words I speak.

Take time often to look around and give God thanks for these moments He's given. 

And keep working on my foundation - to know Him more and more.

Photo: nytimes.com

The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 
Matt 7:25 

Truly He is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. 
Psalm 62:6

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...