Thursday, January 2, 2014

It’s what I need

Now is the time when I should write a post summing up 2013.  This is easy to do because ever since 1995 I have kept a little record of the major life events in our family by year and month.  I have my anal ‘record-everything-on-a-calendar’ habit to thank for this.  It’s nothing detailed – here are a few examples:  whale watching in San Diego,  Lisa baptized,  Amy braces on, Lindsey trip to Africa.  That way I can easily look back to find out when we had an eye surgery, a root canal or a major water pipe burst – you know, the important stuff! 

I love remembering the places we went in 2013… we had a wonderful, snowy trip to Leavenworth with our dear friends, I went to Tennessee for the first time, and we made a crazy four day trip to Montana

There were some difficult milestones… My dad’s health and mental capacity has declined significantly which means much more of my time and God’s compassion.  I’ve struggled with my own pain issues.  Adoption in Ethiopia has always been a spiritual battlefield but this last year we’ve faced a big slow-down and many challenges as we work to give orphaned and abandoned children families – something the Enemy is very determined to prevent.


 
Of course the BIGGEST event of 2013 for me was the birth of our sweet little Hadley in August.  Talk about a life-changer!  How I love this little one.



I spent much of last year in Jeremiah and Ephesians, trying to reform my check-things-off-my-list tendency and meditate more slowly and meaningfully on the Word.  If I didn’t know it before , I KNOW that God’s Word has the power to absolutely transform the way we think. And I desperately need God's thoughts on several things I am praying for.

If you struggle with keeping God’s perspective on your circumstances, if you wish you had more faith to believe God’s promises to you, if you’d like to be a little (or a lot) more consistent in your walk with Christ – get into His Word every single chance you can.  Time in the Word makes us hungry for more, which is a good thing to remember if you’re struggling with even wanting to read your bible.

Over ten years ago, I determined to memorize the eighth chapter of Romans.  I’m not telling you that to brag – I never got it done.   I even asked you to join me way back in 2010 (insert red face).  I’ve started and stopped so many times it’s embarrassing.  But I am starting again.  Even if I fail to get it all memorized (and I sure hope I don’t), I will have spent more time in the Word than if I didn’t try.  God has made a promise that His Word always does in us what He intends – His Word accomplishes what I never could (Is 55:11)!

I’m trying an app called Scripture Typer to see if that will help.  I’m carrying the verses with me on cards I’ve made.  I’m excited to be back to doing something I know will help me stay in the Word throughout the day. 

I don’t like New Year resolutions so that’s not what this is about.  I am humbly sharing an area of failure and hoping that perhaps someone reading this will also get back to doing something they know God wants them to do.  He is going to help us – and I’ll need His help!

May He equip us with all we need
for doing His will.
May He produce in us,
through the power of Jesus Christ,
every good thing that is pleasing to Him.
All glory to Him forever and ever!
Hebrews 13:21

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...