Saturday, March 26, 2011

Granola - a retro recipe

I'm pretty sure I'm one of a very few who still make granola.  It probably went out of style with macrame plant hangers and nehru collars (you can google those if necessary).  I also still use a bread machine.  Remember? I still don't have a smart phone. 

This granola makes a wonderful breakfast, a great snack and we've also had it for dinner.  (Kind of makes you want to be invited to eat at my house, doesn't it?)




GRANOLAPrintable recipe here

10 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1 cup raw sesame seeds
2-3 cups sliced or slivered raw almonds
1½ cups brown sugar
1½ cups water
1½ cups canola oil
½ cup honey
½ molasses
1½ tsp salt
3 tsp vanilla extract
*raisins (added after cooling)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300°.  Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl (I use my giant T*pperware bowl).  Heat the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan until sugar is dissolved.  Do not boil!  Pour over dry ingredients and stir to combine well.  Spread on two rimmed baking sheets.  Bake for 30 minutes, stirring often.  Cool on wire racks.  Add *raisins and store in tightly sealed container. 

It's delicious with vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit!

Historical decor courtesy of

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...